Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pocket Change


Look at this lovely light fixture I acquired over the weekend. It smells of rich mahogany and is a great accessory to my bookcase containing many leather bound books.

This light fixture marks the beginning of economic power for the Qing Dynasty of imperial China. It is made of the ivory of an albino elephant and hand carved by Quixilon, one of the most prominent artists during this period of economic prosperity.

I happened to be at an auction house in Philadelphia on Saturday where this piece caught my eye. It was starting at five grand; easily the hot item of the day.

Luckily I had just received two weeks worth of pay from my grocery store field work. Although I don't enjoy bagging groceries, the company pays me pretty well. Even the highest bid on a light fixture like this is pocket change.

Maybe I am lying.

Maybe these are actually paper plates.


Here have another look (disregard dead bulb. He refused to cooperate for the photo shoot):



































If you understand how to make a circle, I can show you how I did it. If Quixilon existed, I'm sure he would be impressed:




No comments:

Post a Comment